Liver plays the vital role in your body and it is important to pay attention to its health. Diet, exercise and adequate sleep are three keys to a healthy liver.
When anything goes wrong with the liver, the effects can be seen in different functions and parts of the body. There are several types of liver problems. The most common are cirrhosis, cystic disease, fatty liver disease, gallstones, and hepatitis.
Always remember that if you look after your liver, it will surely look after your health. By keeping an eye open for any early signs of liver damage, you can seek treatment sooner rather than later and help your liver make a full recovery.
Here are the 10 early signs of liver damage.
1. NAUSEA AND VOMITING
People suffering from liver damage often have a persistent feeling of nausea. This arises due to the liver’s diminished ability to process and eliminate toxins.
2. GENERAL WEAKNESS AND TIREDNESS
Constant feeling of fatigue and tiredness can also be a tell-tale sign of improper liver functioning. It is the liver that breaks down food to release energy required for performing daily tasks.
3. LOSS OF APPETITE
Loss of appetite is also one of the early signs that your liver is not working properly
4. DIGESTIVE ISSUES
If the liver begins to malfunction, it can result in digestive problems like diarrhea and indigestion.
5. CHANGES IN URINE COLOR
The change in urine color occurs due to an increased level of bilirubin in the bloodstream. This happens when the liver is unable to eliminate bilirubin via excretion through the kidneys.
6. YELLOWING OF SKIN
One of the early signs of liver damage is jaundice, where yellowing of the skin, eyes, tongue and fingernails or fingertips is noticeable.
7. CHANGES IN STOOL COLOR
Changes in stool color may also indicate liver trouble. A well-functioning liver releases bile into the stool, giving it the normal brown color.
8. CHANGES IN THE ABDOMINAL AREA
Changes in the abdominal area is another possible sign of a malfunctioning liver. You may experience pain or cramping in the lower abdominal area as well as swelling. This can quickly lead to the feeling of bloating.
9. FLUID RETENTION
Liver damage affects liver function and causes changes in the secretion of fluid-regulation chemicals.
10. INCREASE IN SKIN SENSITIVITY
Another early sign of a liver problem is increased skin sensitivity. Your skin may become itchy, flaky or oversensitive to touch. It may even bruise easily. In some cases, people also notice the appearance of veins through the skin.
Tips to Strengthen Your Liver
- Stop drinking alcohol completely.
- Quit smoking as soon as possible.
- Daily exercise like walking, yoga, swimming, jogging or running is essential.
- Take all possible measures to avoid constipation, as it may worsen the condition.
- Strive to keep your cholesterol and triglycerides at healthy levels.
- If you are overweight, work toward gradual and sustained weight loss.
- If you are diabetic, keep your blood sugar level under control.
- Eat liver-cleansing foods, such as garlic, turmeric, walnuts, grapefruit, beet root, apples, broccoli, avocado and lemon.
- Include high-quality probiotics in your diet to help remove toxins from the body.
- Start drinking green tea, 2 to 3 cups daily.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C, which has protective effects against liver oxidative damage.
- Limit your animal protein and salt intake.
- Avoid processed and junk foods, as they are not good for liver health. Also, avoid dairy products and refined sugar products.