South Africa’s top 10 restaurants have been named in the 2015 Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Restaurant Awards.
Taking the crown is The Test Kitchen in Cape Town’s, which has won the award every year since 2012.
The Test Kitchen, which opened in November 2010, is headed by Luke Dale-Roberts, who places a big focus on flavour.
“The most important thing is flavour, and layers of flavour,” Dale-Roberts said.
The British-born chef trained in Switzerland and England before heading to Asia for a five year stint, launching several restaurants in Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea and the Philippines.
The Test Kitchen was also ranked as the 28th best restaurant in the world, according to the 2015 S.Pellegrino World’s Best Restaurants ranking.
Of the top 10 restaurants awarded by Eat Out, eight can be found in the Western Cape, with only two Gauteng restaurants listed: Five Hundred at the Saxon Hotel in Sandton, and Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient in Pretoria.
Chef Scot Kirton from Constantia restaurant, La Colombe (ranked second overall), was named chef of the year.
These are the top restaurants in South Africa:
1. The Test Kitchen (Woodstock, Cape Town)
2. La Colombe (Constantia, Cape Town)
3. The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Français (Franschhoek)
4. Greenhouse at The Cellars-Hohenort Hotel (Constantia, Cape Town)
5. Five Hundred at The Saxon Hotel (Sandton, Johannesburg)
6. The Restaurant at Waterkloof (Somerset West)
7. Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient (Elandsfontein, Pretoria)
8. Terroir (Stellenbosch)
9. The Pot Luck Club (Woodstock, Cape Town)
10. Jordan Restaurant (Stellenbosch)